Only you can take the steps necessary to be safe online. Once you have established safety as a habit, it becomes second nature and really doesn’t take much time at all. But to begin, you need to invest the time and energy necessary to learn what to do, and then commit to practicing safety on the Internet using the information you have learned here.
- Update all of your devices with the latest security patches.
- Make sure your anti-virus software is enabled and updated.
- Create or change your passwords to be strong and unique.
- Enable 2-factor authentication on your important online accounts.
- Choose a reliable email provider with a history of security and end-to-end encryption.
- Do a security checkup on your social media account settings.
It’s nearly impossible to “crack” a good password. It’s much easier to trick someone into simply giving it to you using social engineering and a good scam. Remember, successful scams rely on human error. Make sure to Stop and Think before you Click!
- Check the email sender to make sure the site matches the name.
- Don’t download attachments unless you know and trust the sender.
- Don’t overshare on social media.
We are here to help! Start a conversation, ask a question, share a story. Stay safe!