Disinformation is purposely misleading and dishonest information. The Internet is full of disinformation, from hoaxes about health concerns to targeted misinformation campaigns from hostile foreign governments. Knowing how to recognize disinformation is more important than ever.
1. Double check the website address.
2. Get information from multiple sources.
3. Always check the context of a quotation.
4. Use caution when searching for medical information.
5. Beware of financial advertising.
6. Use credible sources.
7. Look for hard data from reliable sources.
8. Look for errors in grammar and spelling.
9. Recognize your own biases.
10. Use common sense.
Want more information?
Check out this YouTube video or visit ourSafety page.
How do you recognize disinformation?
Comment below to share your tips or experiences in recognizing misleading information. What do you do to stop the spread?